Tuesday 8 September 2020

What makes you a writer??

 

What makes you a writer??

What school do you have to go to?

Do you need a diploma?

No, no and no at least not by my opinion. Countless authors never took writing classes or hold a diploma in writing and yet write the most beautiful, fascinating stories.

But what you need is an excellent command of your language, good grammar, a vivid imagination and the burning desire to write and share your stories.

  

Prepare yourself a cup of tea, coffee or pour yourself a wee dram, set up your workspace and pick up your pen then lean back and start your journey. Withdraw from everyday life and slip into the persona of an author. No matter what genre appeals to you write and keep writing don't edit or check on grammar or spelling, get your thoughts down and leave all corrections for later.

 I turn off my phone and the doorbell too, then slip into my writer's outfit, light a few candles and put on some relaxing background music whenever I pick up my pen and enter my world of fantasy and imagination.  Long forgotten are the words of my fourth-grade teacher "Ursula you have too much fantasy," I now give my story's characters free reign and follow them on their journeys. I let the story spin, weather a storm, share a passionate kiss or fight a fierce battle.  So when will you start your journey as an author??

Ursula Williams

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think your teacher was so wrong we never have enough fantasy not to much.